Search This Blog

"Flooding Was What We Expected": The Movie

The Wind of Change

Seek The High Ground

Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Report; Evansville Youth Center: September 2008

Evansville Youth Center Director’s Report – September 2008


Encarta dictionary gives the following definition for the word Motivate
• Give somebody incentive: to give somebody a reason or incentive to do something
• Make some one willing: to make somebody feel enthusiastic, interested, and committed to something

These are just some of the feelings I have towards the youth and the youth center here in Evansville. Youth & teens are my passion and I enjoy working with them. Over the last month I have started building up many relationships with the youth that attend the center on a daily basis. With having James Farley as my assistant who also shares in the enthusiasm of working with the youth we are extremely excited to see what the future holds for EYC.

It started on the JC McKenna back to school night when I had the chance to stand before the entire 6th grade youth and parents to share why we have the youth center and what we can offer. With growing up in a different country and culture the youth are finding it’s interesting in how I do and say things. One of the first things that they notice, as one of the youth said this week is “why don’t you speak English,” this is a huge ice breaker that breaks down any barriers that there might be. I have brought games to the youth center that I have used in the past but are new for the center such as “Round the Table” and the kids can’t get enough of the game.

We have averaged 26 youth at the center on a daily basis since the first day of school which is really encouraging to both James and me. We have several days in October that are going to be set aside for community service projects. Raking of leaves is one that I know for sure but will just depend on the good ol’ WI weather.

As all of my directors reports are available for the city of Evansville to view and read I would encourage any of you who do read this to stop by and say hi. I have many names and faces that I need to learn so please free to just drop by.

Respectfully Submitted
Dave Javan
Director Evansville Youth Center

No comments: